Monday, January 4, 2010

Top 6 Movies I Watched Over My Christmas Break

I watched twelve movies in the past week and a half. Here are the best half-dozen:

6. Dreamgirls - This movie had so much potential for the first hour and a bit. It demonstrated a re-occurring theme I find in movies - nobody knows how to wrap up stories anymore. That's why so many movies have bad endings.

5. I Am Legend - Not as good as everyone made it out to be, but still better than 7 of the other movies I watched over the holidays. I did some research on the book that it was based off of, and apparently it's completely different. The Hollywood film has a much lighter ending; the original book is more science-fictiony with vampires. After reading a synopsis of the book though, I don't think it would be much better.

4. Titanic - I watched Avatar over this break (which did NOT make the list) and was inspired to watch James Cameron's swan song again. I appreciated this movie a lot more now that I'm a decade older. It has its flaws, but does such a phenomenal job of making you so happy and then depressing you like you've never been before. If not for the last 30 second scene which gives some level of hope, it wouldn't have made half the money it did.

3. The Queen - This was a surprise. I had heard good things, but wondered how good it would actually be. Phenomenal character development and brilliant lines. It's not super accessible, but people who stick it out will be pleased.

2. It's A Wonderful Life - This is only a Christmas movie because of the last little bit. That's a good thing though, since that means people will watch it once a year. That whole bell-ringing angel-winging thing still bugs me though.

1. Up In The Air - Why is this movie so great? Because the character development is so great. (See last post)

No comments: