Saturday, May 8, 2010

Top Six Conversations We've Had With Mom

Heads Up - Mother's Day is tomorrow. In honor of my own Mom, here are a few anecdotes from the Lady B family. They are a few of what I know are my Mom's favorite memories from motherhood and some of my favorite comments from being her child. Happy Mother's Day Mama J!

6) Halloween - One Halloween when I was in elementary school I didn't want to go to school. I was talking about it with my mom and my sister, Lady J, responded with "Well at least you don't have to sit next to DRACLEEA all day!"

5) The "Thugs" - I have a friend who my mom recently met at our college graduation. After the banquet she said to me, "I like how he matched his ear thugs to his tie". "Ear thugs?" I replied. "Yeah...isn't that what they're called? Because thugs wear them".

4) The Funny Hand - One morning I was getting ready for school. It was early. I'd boiled the water for mom's coffee and as I applied my makeup I heard her alarm go off. A few minutes later her door opened and as she blinked in the light from my bathroom, she sleepily commented, "Someone slept on my hand funny". I laughed and asked, "Was it you?" She blinked again and replied, "I think so...I was the only one in there".

3) The Birds and The Bees - Well, let's just say I didn't COMPLETELY understand the concept. I cried, and thanked my mom for going through that to get me.

2) My Future - The past week has supplied many conversations about my future. I suggested that maybe I should become a flight attendant. Mom's reply? "Yeah, then you could travel...and do that seatbelt thing".

1) The Stupid Glasses - When I was in second grade I got my first pair of glasses. Mom suggested a sensible metal frame but of course I wanted the purple and pink speckled ones with the purple and pink circles across the nose. Everyone told Mom to just let me pick the ones I wanted, so she did. My first day of school with my new specs I lined up outside the door just like any other day and Mom took Lady J (my sister) to Kindergarten. When her class was let into the room she came back to see if my class was still waiting. We were, and I was in tears. She picked me up and asked, "What's the matter?" Sniffling I replied, "Melissa said my glasses were stupid!" Mom resisted the urge to find the kid and give her what for and asked, "What's the truth?" "I LOOK FABLEEOUS!"

Thanks Mom for how much you love me and for always being 'fableeous'. I love you, Happy Mother's Day.

No comments: