Sunday, September 21, 2008

6 Things I don't understand about UVIC/Victoria

6) Recently the workers of the SUB (Student Union Building) went on strike. They promptly set up picket lines in front of the building where such things as the campus pub and used bookstore are. I go to buy used books and I fing this debacle is going on. I find out that they are demanding more money. It's very iromnic that they are striking considering most of the employees are students pulling in $10 an hour. Most of them live on campus and have to literally walk 10 seconds to get to work where they pretty much touch themselves. Perhaps they thing that makes me wonder the most is that they are part of the UNITED STEEL WORKERS UNION. They work at a university.

5) I walked in to my first Geography 101A lab and immediately I knew the teacher was a huge hippy. Why let a dis-organized grad student teach a class that is very nescessary for my very survival at UVIC. She is clearly not ready for the big leagues like a few other grad students I've run across in my schooling career.

4) There are kids at UVIC right now who I'm pretty sure just graduated middle school. Some kids are so small and not ready for the University life that it's embarassing. Especially those 18 year girls who dont know what geography is, they think it's a function on their iPhone. Dear Uvic. please use more discretion on selecting your students, Love Mark.

3) Downtown Victoria and the surrounding area is a sweet place to be. A lot of cool things to explore and do. One thing I don't get is how there are literally, a dozen Traveller Inn Motels within a 15km radius.

Hotel Guest
"Shoot honey, I guess this Travellers Inn is full, I guess were out of luck."

Hotel Front Desk Worker
"Excuse me sir, have you tried the five other Travellers Inn within 2km of this location?"

In my mind unnesscary, What about the Sandman Inn, why doesn't he get some of the action?

2) uSource is the new registration system at Uvic, I refer to it as amateur hour. The old webview system worked fine and it had a simple user interface. uSource is proably more confusing than Stephen Hawkings Quantnum Physic theories. I try to register for a class and it says I have a major hold restriction. Ok, what is a major hold restriction you might ask. I asked the same thing and the a-clown who came up with the system decided not disclose what a major hold restriction is. Long story short not many studenst or faculty members are fans. They are not fans of getting random announcements about the UVIC field hockey team tunig SFU in an exhibition game rather than finding out if they can get into the one last class they need to graduate. There is also a group on facebook called "10,000 Strong against uSource". I would like to point out that this is more than half the student population at UVIC.

1) I dont mean to be offensive when I say this. I walk onto campus my first day back and I see construction going on right at the centre of campus. It is a aboriginal celebration centre for the Uvic aborigianl Student Union. Perhaps the ironic thing is that I have at the most seen 5 native students at UVIC. You do the math, it doesn't make much sence to build a 2 million dollar building for five students. How about cutting down on tution?

No comments: